Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May is the month of surprises

I went for another check-up on May 3rd and all was well.  BM's heartbeat had dropped as they said it would, now beating at 142 bpm, my blood pressure was good at 98/62, and I've gained a total of 8 lbs.  Other than that, I met with my doctor for a few minutes, discussed travel plans and confirmed our next appointment for our ultrasound to determine the sex on May 31st.  That will be the last surprise for the month of May, but obviously the biggest one!  We can hardly wait and have officially started the countdown...2 weeks from today!  I'm really ready to start working on the nursery.  I've chosen a crib, dresser, bedding for either boy or girl and we are certain on a boy's name but a little uncertain about a girl's.  So now all we need to know is what we'll actually be having so we can get started on all these plans.

The first surprise of the month would be my belly!  I mentioned in my previous blog that my 'bump' had finally arrived, but what I didn't know was that was not actually true.  It really popped out and made itself known a few weeks later at 16 weeks.  One day I had a pooch and the next I was pregnant.  See what I mean... (15 weeks on the left, 16 weeks on the right).


The second 'surprise' of the month...which wasn't really a surprise but rather a pleasant gift was from my coworker Chesley.  He brought me a gently used (and I mean only used for 2 days so practically new) cradle to work for me to use.  His wife's father gave it to them when she was pregnant with their son, Sullivan, but they only used it the first couple of nights and then chose to put their son in his crib where he's slept ever since.  It's just what I wanted and needed.  It's classic and will be perfect to have in our room next to our bed for the first several months before making the transition to the crib.  All I need to get is some bedding for it, which I've already found at a local baby store.  I just need to go back and purchase it.


And the final surprise of the month, so far anyway, just came this week.  I felt BM moving around for the first time!  What a strange feeling!  Most books and friends have said it will feel like butterflies in my stomach, which it does somewhat, but in my current book it described it just as it felt to me...like a little goldfish swimming around in my belly!  It feels like a flutter...like when I kick or move my feet/hands under water.  When I first noticed them on Sunday, they were really faint movements.  And today (Tues) they were stronger and more frequent.  I think BM is practicing flip turns in there!  It's such a comforting feeling because it assures me that the baby is doing okay, however, it feels so odd that it's slightly disturbing!  Especially when I'm sitting at my desk working and all a sudden BM takes off to swim a few laps!  I just smile, pause and then try to focus to get back to what I was doing. 

I'm sure this month was only the start of the many surprises yet to come.  I know we'll have so many more moments to look forward to in the next 4-5 months and I'm so excited for every one of them!  I know the best is yet to come, but for now, I'm enjoying every single day of being preggo and doing the best I can to prepare myself to be the best Mom I can be. :)



2 comments:

  1. BM is going to be a little swimmer like his mommy was! You definitely look prego and prego looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bassinett. We are borrowing ours from a friend. Lookin' great!!

    ReplyDelete